Evidence based STI Depression protocol: Tools, Tips, and Strategies to use in 5-15 minute sessions
About this course:
This 5 CE reading, video, and exercise-based course was designed in 2018 to provide guidance and instruction on how to help depressed patients when there is limited time. This course teaches clinicians how to use specific interventions during brief interactions with depressed patients and clients.
STI is the clinical program that we use in this course. It was created in 2010 by an LCSW in an outpatient medical clinic to solve the problem of untreated depression after discovering that traditional CBT wasn’t feasible with limited time. Since then, STI has been continuously tested and modified to obtain maximum benefit. It is used in over 4000 outpatient medical clinics in the US and has helped over 50,000 people since 2010.
- STI can be used in isolation or with medications and therapy
- STI is a combination of psychoeducation and experiential strategies. It is not psychotherapy
- STI is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness, and STI emotion-based interventions, motivational interviewing, and Solution Focused Therapy.
Beginning to intermediate
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize four depressive symptoms through statements and behaviors.
- Learn five common depressive behaviors.
- Learn specific language to introduce the strategies.
- Learn most effective stance.
- Identify where three specific emotions are felt.
- Identify three reasons why people are scared of their feelings.
- Identify how emotions are interpreted which often results in negative behaviors.
- Create graphic representation of thought/mood/behavior connection.
- Use specific language to explain connection to a patient.
- Identify two key strategies to effectively improve depressive symptoms in five minutes.
- Identify three key strategies to effectively improve depressive symptoms in ten minutes.
- Identify four key strategies to improve depressive symptoms in fifteen minutes
Lesson 1: Introduction
In this introductory lesson, participants will learn about the problem of untreated depression and about how STI works.
Lesson 2: Getting started
This lesson provides education and guidance on how to identify and work with thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Participants will also learn about when and how to begin working with patients and clients.
In this lesson, students will learn how thoughts, moods, and behaviors are connected. This lesson teaches the theory and basics of the four key interventions.
This lesson outlines the specific interventions that are recommended for five, ten, and fifteen minute interactions.
Course interaction & system requirements
- Operating Systems: Windows XP or higher, MacOS 9 or higher, Android 4.0 or higher
- Internet browser: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox 10.0 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, High-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible.
- Media viewing requirements: Adobe Reader, Flash Player, & HTML5
Course completion & CE info Course completion requirements:
To earn CE credit, social workers must complete the course, submit the course assignments and complete the posttest (with a passing score of 80%) and course evaluation. Posttests may be retaken. Certificates of completion can be printed upon completion and fulfilment of the requirements.
STI Innovations, provider # 1390, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. STI Innovations, LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 06/08/2016–06/08/2019.
Social workers participating in this course receive 5 continuing education credits.
For questions, concerns, or to request special accommodations, please call: 760-752-9109
*STI Innovations, LLC, provider #1391, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. STI Innovations maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period:06/08/2016 – 06/08/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)