STI Basic Course
About this course:
This 10 CE reading, video, and exercise-based course, created in 2019, is designed to teach social workers and other front-line clinicians the basics of Symptom Targeted Intervention (STI) so they can use quick, simple, evidence-based interventions to help patients with symptoms of emotional distress who may not be interested in formal mental health help.
STI is a transdiagnostic approach so even clinicians without a clinical license can use it to improve symptoms of emotional distress. It was integrates the best of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Solution Focused Therapy and Mindfulness. STI was created in 2010 by an LCSW in an outpatient medical clinic to solve the problem of untreated depression after discovering that traditional CBT wasn’t feasible with limited time.
This course helps clinicians integrate STI with seven basic steps:
1. Identify emotional distress
2. Acknowledge and explore their pain and suffering
3. Normalize their response
4. Propose working together
5. Obtain verbal consent
6. Identify specific symptom to target
7. Specific intervention and follow-up experiment
Beginning to intermediate
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize four depressive symptoms through statements and behaviors.
- Learn five common depressive behaviors.
- Learn specific language to introduce the strategies.
- Learn most effective stance.
- Identify where three specific emotions are felt.
- Identify three reasons why people are scared of their feelings.
- Identify how emotions are interpreted which often results in negative behaviors.
- Create graphic representation of thought/mood/behavior connection.
- Use specific language to explain connection to a patient.
- Identify two key strategies to effectively improve depressive symptoms in five minutes.
- Identify three key strategies to effectively improve depressive symptoms in ten minutes.
- Identify four key strategies to improve depressive symptoms in fifteen minutes.
Module #1: About STI
Definition, history, and elements of Symptom Targeted Intervention.
Module #2: Thoughts, emotions, and behaviors
- Transdiagnostic understanding of and approach to symptoms of emotional distress.
- Identifying and understanding thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
- Understanding and teaching patients about the thought, mood, behavior connection.
Module #3: Getting started
- Identify and recognize emotional distress,
- Six steps to introduce and begin STI,
- Pre-session strategy work to maximize effectiveness.
- Process to monitor thoughts, emotions, and behaviors to minimize negative counter-transference.
Module #4: Behavioral Interventions
- Behavioral activation
- Opposite action
- Courage ladder
Module #5: Relaxation interventions
- Fight or flight
- Breathing exercises
- Calm place
Module #6: Cognitive Interventions
- Working with thoughts
- IEC thoughts
- Thought diagram
- Stop and distract
- Coping thoughts
Module #7: Affective Interventions
- Grief and grieving
- Feel and release
Module #8: Mindfulness
- Benefits of mindfulness
- Teaching mindfulness
- Three minute exercise
Module #9: Daily maintenance interventions
- Working on goals
- Mood maintenance, reset and hot spots
- Routines and self care
Course interaction & system requirements
- Operating Systems: Windows XP or higher, MacOS 9 or higher, Android 4.0 or higher
- Internet browser: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Firefox 10.0 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, High-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible.
- Media viewing requirements: Adobe Reader, Flash Player, & HTML5
Course completion & CE info Course completion requirements:
To earn CE credit, social workers must complete the course, submit the course assignments and complete the posttest (with a passing score of 80%) and course evaluation. Posttests may be retaken. Certificates of completion can be printed upon completion and fulfilment of the requirements.
STI Innovations, provider # 1390, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. STI Innovations, LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 06/08/2016–06/08/2019.
Social workers participating in this course receive 5 continuing education credits.
For questions, concerns, or to request special accommodations, please call: 760-752-9109
*STI Innovations, LLC, provider #1391, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. STI Innovations maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period:06/08/2016 – 06/08/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)